Teachers and business owner who died of carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb brought light to those around them, families say
In the room where her husband, Josey Paz, had died from carbon monoxide poisoning, Blanca Murguia saw an omelette in the refrigerator.
“The door was open and he was sleeping in there. We went in there and he was sleeping,” said Paz’s sister, Claudia Paz.
Paz’s body was discovered in the morning of Feb. 25, five days after the Paz family had booked an Airbnb at the Edificio Paz de Oro on Av. Echeverría. The family of 19 was visiting the building to celebrate Paz’s 29th birthday.
In the room where her husband, Josey Paz, had died from carbon monoxide poisoning, Blanca Murguia saw an omelette in the refrigerator. Photo: Diego Tovar / The Chronicle
Paz’s body was discovered and taken to a local hospital, where it was put on life support. Ten days later, the hospital transferred Paz, with his wife and daughter, into a private room with the help of a relative. Paz died a few hours later on Feb. 28, a week after his 22nd birthday, said Claudia Paz, his sister.
The last time Paz’s family had visited, on Feb. 10, the apartment had been cleaned out.
Blanca Murguia said she spent the morning of Feb. 27 looking for information about her stepbrother’s death. They found an obituary online, but it provided little information and was difficult to understand.
She said there were no signs of foul play, and they were told that Paz had not been inside the apartment. Three days later, Paz’s family learned that their apartment’s security deposit — around $8,000 — would be refunded. They had